6 Tips to Prevent Arizona Pests
Oct 12, 2022
Welcome mats are for guests not for insects.
The Alpha Pest Control team has noticed a few things that homeowners do, without even knowing it, that can make pests feel like they can move on in. While regular service from a pest control company is the best way to keep pests at bay, here are a few quick tips that can prevent your home from becoming a breeding ground for insects.
- Don’t stack or lean objects against your house. This could be piles of wood, boxes, newspapers or other items that could become a home for pests. In Arizona, scorpions are especially big fans of wood piles. Any items that contain moisture can also be enticing for termites, roaches and other critters.
- Keep food items sealed. While we often see ant hills in yards, people don’t necessarily think they can accidentally attract ants in their homes or offices by leaving food out. We even saw candy kept in a desk drawer that brought unwanted ants. Use jars, plasticware or sealed bags to prevent a visit from a long line of ants.
- Avoid standing water, from inside a bucket to puddles created by overwatering your yard. Mosquitoes can breed in pools of water and can spread quickly. Make sure you don’t have any empty flower pots that have filled up with rainwater or any other items that could hold water.
- Reduce clutter and brush down cobwebs. Spiders and other insects can make their home in piles of clothes or boxes that aren’t frequently moved. You don’t want any of these creepy crawlies to make a home in your house.
- In the kitchen, wipe counters so they are free of crumbs, don’t leave dishes in the sink and rinse and clean items in your recycling bin. Also, take your kitchen trash out often. The items we throw out, like food waste, can be very attractive to bugs.
- Close drains that aren’t used often. This will prevent cockroaches from entering your home. If you leave on vacation for an extended period of time, it is best to have a house sitter stop by and run water down all the drains and flush the toilets to prevent the water from drying out in pipes and leaving easy access into your house from the sewers.
In short, you want to make sure that you aren’t offering a food or water source for insects.
If you live in the Phoenix area and are looking for help with your pest problems at home or at the office, please call or text Alpha Pest Control at 480-968-0414, or fill out our online form. We can come up with solutions that will address your specific pest control issues.